What Mr. Coley has accomplished in his class is very incredible! What an interesting way to engage students in class content and to bring their opinions and knowledge to life.
I am not very familiar, at all, with the Podcasting world. I think I have downloaded a couple here and there but have never really become 'hooked' on them like some of my friends have. I do not think that incorporating the Podcast summary idea as heavily as Mr. Coley has done would be possible for me, at least during my first few years of teaching. I do believe, however, that the Podcast idea would lend itself well to final projects where typically a video, play or poster presentation have been my go-to project formats. If students are able to write a script for a visual or physical display, why not let them create a purely audio project in the form of a podcast? Enhancing their script with sound effects and music (using a program such as Garageband) would help students to create real masterpieces.
Another aspect of the article that I found very interesting was the point that creating Podcasts allows students to be content producers and content consumers. At an early age Mr. Coley has helped show his students the power of knowledge networking. He has empowered his students by sharing their opinions and work with the world. What they have to say 'matters'.
No comments:
Post a Comment